Spay and Neuter for Dogs and Cats in Homewood, AL
Currently, there are not enough forever homes available for the number of pets in shelters. These perfectly adoptable pets are, in many cases, euthanized. When pets are spayed and neutered, they are prevented from contributing to the pet overpopulation epidemic. Dogs are capable of having a litter of five per year and cats can have three litters per year. With an output like that, one female cat can have as many as 15 kittens per year and each of the female kittens can have equally the same once matured. Other than being beneficial to pet populations at large, dog and cat spay and neuter surgery also offers several unique benefits to each pet in Homewood, AL. Contact Nall Daniels in Homewood at (205) 879-3409 to learn more or to schedule a pre-surgical examination today.
The Advantages of Dog and Cat Spay and Neuter Surgery
When you have your female pet spayed or your male pet neutered, the both of you receive some valuable benefits:
- The prevention of hormone-related illness can increase the lifespan of your four-legged friend.
- Male pets enjoy a decreased risk of prostate illness and an eliminated risk of testicular cancer.
- Female pets enjoy a decreased risk of breast cancer and uterine infections and an eliminated risk of ovarian cancer.
- Both male and female pets are disinclined to unruly roaming behavior.
- Unwanted pregnancies and litters you may not be able to care for are prevented.
Caring for Your Dog or Cat after Spay or Neuter Surgery
Though spay and neuter is a routine outpatient surgery, your pet's comfort and safety is fully accounted for at our animal hospital. A certified veterinary technician stays with your pet throughout and after surgery and all vital signs are closely monitored. Once your pet is comfortably awake from anesthesia, we call you, let you know how your pet is doing and set a pick-up time. Upon discharge, we give detailed instructions on after-care and how to administer any needed medications, but prescriptive medicine is not routine after a spay or neuter. Some tips to keep in mind while caring for your pet at home after spay or neuter surgery include:
- Give your pet a comfortable, quiet area to recover for at least 24 hours.
- Check the incision site daily, and look out for signs of infection, such as redness and discharge.
- Keep your pet from running and jumping for at least two weeks.
- Call us immediately at (205) 879-3409 if your pet's incisions appear unattached.
Remember, we're here for all your pet care needs at Nall Daniels Animal Hospital. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you would like more information on spay and neuter surgery or are concerned about how your pet is recovering.
We love everyone at Nall Daniels! They are kind and compassionate and have given our dogs exceptional care. I highly recommend them!
The entire staff at Nall Daniel is amazing!! They treat you and your pets like family. We absolutely love it here!! Thank you to all of you for all you have done and will continue to do for our fur babies!
Everyone was so helpful and thorough in treating Callie. They were amazingly attentive to her and helping her feel at ease. She's very nervous at the vet, but they made it as stress free for her as possible.